- Score: VCU 6, West Virginia 1
- Records: VCU (8-3), West Virginia (1-5)
- Location: Thalhimer Tennis Center - Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Led by Josefin Hjertquist (pictured, main) and Cindy Chala (pictured, top right), the VCU women's tennis team dominated West Virginia on Sunday afternoon, 6-1, for its eighth victory of the season. Hjertquist and Chala teamed up for a doubles victory in addition to both earning singles wins to help the Black & Gold secure the match.
How It Happened
- Freshmen Olga Barscheuskaya and Karina Alesha got the day started with an 8-3 win at the third spot in the doubles lineup, which allowed Hjertquist and Chala to secure the first point of the day for VCU with an 8-3 victory of their own.
- Chala continued her winning ways with an easy defeat of West Virginia's Audrey Wooland at the top singles spot, 6-0, 6-1. Chala is now 5-2 this spring, with the only two losses coming to players ranked in the top-15 nationally.
- Sophomore Salome Kvistashvili (pictured, bottom right) picked up her 16th victory of the year, toppling Ikttesh Chahal, 6-1, 6-0 to extend VCU's lead to 3-0.
- After West Virginia picked up a 6-2, 6-2 win at the fourth singles spot, Hjertquist slammed the door on the Mountaineers with a 6-4, 6-0 victory over Hailey Barrett at #2 singles.
- The Mountaineers conceded the final two singles matches with Alesha and classmate Yukako leading in both.
VCU 6, West Virginia 1
No. 1: Hjertquist/Chala (VCU) def. Barrett/Chahal (WVU) 8-3
No. 2: Mathis/Wooland (WVU) def. Kvitashvili/Terteac, 8-5
No. 3: Barscheuskaya/Alesha (VCU) def. Toidze/Tsui (WVU), 8-3
No. 1: Cindy Chala (VCU) def. Audrey Wooland (WVU), 6-0, 6-1
No. 2: Josefin Hjertquist (VCU) def. Hailey Barrett (WVU), 6-4, 6-0
No. 3: Salome Kvitashvili (VCU) def. Ikttesh Chahal (WVU), 6-1, 6-0
No. 4: Emily Mathis (WVU) def. Olga Barscheuskaya (VCU), 6-2, 6-2
No. 5: Yukako Noi (VCU) def. Vivian Tsui (WVU), 6-3, 1-0, ret.
No. 6: Karina Alesha (VCU) def. Irinka Toidze (WVU), 4-1, ret.