- Score: VCU 4, Wake Forest 3
- Records: VCU (7-2), Wake Forest (1-3)
- Location: WFU Indoor Tennis Center (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
- The Short Story: Senior Josefin Hjertquist (pictured, main) proved to be the finisher for the VCU women's tennis team on Saturday as the Rams took down ACC foe, Wake Forest, 4-3, to improve to 7-2 on the year. Hjertquist teamed with freshman Karina Alesha (pictured, top right) to secure the doubles point and followed that up with a singles win at the third spot in VCU's lineup, which ultimately secured the match victory for the Black & Gold. Alesha and fellow freshman Olga Barscheuskaya (pictured, bottom right) also locked up singles wins on the day.
How It Happene
- Sophomore Salome Kvitashvili and junior Olga Terteac got things rolling in VCU's direction when they picked up a dominating 8-2 doubles victory over Wake's Karen Forman and Xue Zhang.
- Hjertquist and Alesha locked up the doubles point for the Black & Gold with a 8-4 win at the third spot in VCU's doubles lineup.
- Barscheuskaya pushed gave the Rams a 2-0 lead when she rolled past Forman at the fifth singles spot, 6-1, 6-0.
- After Wake picked up a win at #4 singles, Alesha finished off Brigita Bercyte at the sixth singles spot, 6-1, 7-5.
- Hjertquist was right behind, locking up the win for VCU with a 6-2, 7-6 win over Andrea Retolaza in the third singles position.
VCU 4, Wake Forest 3
1) Olga Barscheuskaya/Daria Yakauleva (VCU) vs. Talbert/Gardiner (WF), 6-7, unfinished
2) Salome Kvitashvili/Olga Terteac (VCU) def. Karen Forman/Xue Zhang (WF), 8-2
3) Karina Alesha/Josefin Hjertquist (VCU) def. Brigita Bercyte/Andrea Retolaza (WF), 8-4
1) Kathryn Talbert (WF) def. Salome Kvitashvili (VCU), 7-6 (7-4), 5-2, ret.
2) Kasey Gardiner (WF) def. Olga Terteac (VCU), 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
3) Josefin Hjertquist (VCU) def. Andrea Retolaza (WF), 6-2, 7-5
4) Xue Zhang (WF) def. Yukako Noi (VCU), 6-4, 6-4
5) Olga Barscheuskaya (VCU) def. Karen Forman (WF), 6-1, 6-0
6) Karina Alesha (VCU) def. Brigita Bercyte (VCU), 6-1, 7-5
Order of finish:
Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,4,6,3,1,2)