RAMS ROLL TO 6-1 WIN OVER WINTHROP
- Final: VCU 6, Winthrop 1
- Records: VCU (6-2), Winthrop (1-3)
- Location: Thalhimer Tennis Center - Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: After suffering back-to-back losses to top-15 teams, VCU got back on the winning track on Super Sunday with a dominating 6-1 victory over the Eagles of Winthrop University. The Rams set the tone right from the start, winning all three doubles matches. From there, senior Josefin Hjertquist (pictured, top right), freshman Yukako Noi (pictured, bottom right) and junior Olga Terteac (pictured, main) quickly won their singles matches to secure the sixth win of the year for the Black & Gold.
How It Happened
- Sophomore Salome Kvitashvili and freshman Olga Barscheuskaya quickly won their doubles match, 8-2, followed by the junior tandem of Terteac and Daria Yakauleva, who won their match, 8-3, to secure the doubles point for VCU.
- Hjertquist made it 2-0 with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Giovanna Portioli at the fourth singles spot.
- Noi followed closely behind with a 6-1, 7-5 win over Alice Garcia at the third singles position.
- Terteac secured the win for the Black & Gold with a hard-fought 7-5, 7-6 (3) win over Andressa Garcia at the second spot in VCU's lineup.
- Barscheuskaya and classmate Karina Alesha rounded out the Rams' singles victories at the fifth and sixth singles spots respectively.
VCU 6, Winthrop 1
1. Hjertquist/Noi (VCU) def. Alkema/An. Garcia (WU), 8-6
2. Yakauleva/Terteac (VCU) def. Portioli/Al. Garcia (WU), 8-3
3. Kvitashvili/ Barscheuskaya (VCU) def. Gunaysu/Cridland (WU), 8-2
1. #95 Yasmine Alkema (WU) def. Salome Kvitashvili (VCU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
2. Olga Terteac (VCU) def. Andressa Garcia (WU), 7-5, 7-6 (3)
3. Yukako Noi (VCU) def. Alice Garcia (WU), 6-1, 7-5
4. Josefin Hjertquist (VCU) def. Giovanna Portioli (WU), 6-4, 6-1
5. Olga Barscheuskaya (VCU) def. Caitlin Cridland (WU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Karina Alesha (VCU) def. Ekin Gunaysu (WU), 7-6 (8), 2-6, 10-6
- The Rams head south for a showdown with ACC foe, Wake Forest. First serve in Winston-Salem, N.C. is set for 9 a.m.