RAMS ROLL PAST BOSTON, 7-0, TO CLOSE OUT REGULAR SEASON WITH EIGHTH STRAIGHT WIN
RICHMOND, Va. – Every collegiate student-athlete remembers their last time playing in front of the home crowd. It's a moment you'll never forget.
That's exactly what Sunday was for the Bara sisters of VCU women's tennis team. The sisters made sure to end their home careers on a high note, leading the Rams to a dominating 7-0 win over Boston University. It was the Black & Gold's eighth straight win and helped VCU close out the regular season with a 17-4 ledger.
With a 1-0 lead, Alex Bara's opponent at #2 singles retired due to injury to quickly make it 2-0. Her sister, Ana Bara, followed close behind with an easy 6-1, 6-2 win at the top singles spot to bring VCU within one point of securing the victory.
Freshman Salome Kvitashvili continued her strong debut season and locked up the win with a 6-3, 6-3 win at the fourth singles spot.
VCU will now take the week to prepare for the CAA Championships in which the Black & Gold enter as the top seed. After a first-round bye, the Rams will hit the courts on Friday for their quarterfinal match.
VCU 7, Boston University 0
1. Ana Bara/Alex Bara def. Mical/Lieb 8-5
2. Yakauleva/Terteac def. Martinez/Drake 8-1
3. Gerasimova/Kvitashvili def. Santini/Athanasiodis 8-6
1. Ana Bara def. Athanasiodis 6-1, 6-2
2. Alex Bara def. Santini 3-3 (def. injury)
3. Terteac def. Mical 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (6)
4. Kvitashvili def. Lieb 6-3, 6-3
5. Placha def. Martinez 6-2, 7-5
6. Hjertquist def. Drake 6-1, 6-2