SOPHOMORES LEAD RAMS TO 4-1 WIN OVER MARSHALL
RICHMOND, Va.—Over 33,000 people descended (see Monument Ave 10k) on Richmond today to make just over a six mile run. VCU Women's Tennis made a run of their own as they took down Marshall University 4-1, stretching their win streak to four games.
The Rams took control early by earning the doubles point to start match-play. Ana and Alex Bara struck first with an 8-4 victory over the Herd's Dominika Zaprazna and Maria Voscekova. Olga Terteac and Daria Yakauleva secured the point by defeating Kara Kucin and Ellie Ball 8-4.
Terteac continued her dominance on the court with a two-set match against Ball, taking a singles point after winning 7-5 and 6-2. Yakauleva followed her doubles partner with a resounding 6-0, 6-2 victory over Kristina Koprcina.
An injury default by Alena Gerasimova gave the Thundering Herd an opening, but Salome Kvitashvili quickly closed it with a 6-3, 6-3 win against Karlyn Timko.
VCU improves to 13-4 on the season. This marks the second win over Marshall University this season, as they defeated the Thundering Herd 5-1 at the ITA Kick-Off earlier in the year.
The Rams will next head down to Florida to take on Marquette on April 6.
VCU 4, Marshall 1
- Ana Bara/Alex Bara (VCU) def. Dominika Zaprazna/Maria Voscekova (MU), 8-4
- Olga Terteac/Daria Yakauleva (VCU) def. Kara Kucin/Ellie Ball (MU), 8-4
- Karlyn Timko/Kristina Koprcina (MU) def. Alena Gerasimova/Salome Kvitashvili (VCU), 8-7(4)
- Ana Bara (VCU) vs. Dominika Zaprazna (MU) 4-6, 6-0, DNF
- Alex Bara (VCU) vs. Maria Voscekova (MU) 7-5, 3-0, DNF
- Olga Terteac (VCU) def. Ellie Ball (MU) 7-5, 6-2
- Kara Kucin (MU) def. Alena Gerasimova (VCU) 6-3, 1-0 Default—Injury
- Daria Yakauleva (VCU) def. Kristina Koprcina (MU) 6-0, 6-2
- Salome Kvitashvili (VCU) def. Karlyn Timko (MU) 6-3, 6-3