RICHMOND, Va.—Wednesday is usually a day that everyone trudges through, just trying to get to the end of the week. VCU, however, plowed through Wednesday with a decisive victory over in-state rival Virginia Tech.
Josefin Hjertquist and Daria Yakauleva got the day started for the Rams with a definitive 8-2 victory over the Hokies in doubles competition. The sister duo of Alex and Ana Bara kept the ball rolling, while Alena Gerasimova and Salome Kvitashvili had a hard fought win to sweep the doubles competition.
Gerasimova didn't waste any time getting back on the court, picking up the first win of singles competition. Alex Bara followed up with a win of her own before Olga Terteac grabbed the key fourth victory of the day to clinch.
The Rams, now 9-2, will see a 10 day break in the action. They will return to the courts Feb. 25 at Duke University.
VCU 5, Virginia Tech 2
1. Bara/Bara (VCU) def. Blakely/Rauscher (VT) 8-5
2. Josefin Hjertquist/Yakauleva (VCU) def. Betts/Katie Blow (VT) 8-2
3. Gerasimova/Salome Kvitashvili (VCU) def. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) 9-7
1. Martha Blakely (VT) def. Ana Bara (VCU) 5-7, 6-0, 7-5
2. No. 120 Alex Bara (VCU) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-2, 6-4
3. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Daria Yakauleva (VCU) 6-2, 7-5
4. Alena Gerasimova (VCU) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Olga Terteac (VCU) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-2, 6-4
6. Marketa Placha (VCU) def. Emily Lauten (VT) 6-2, 2-6, 7-5