RAMS DROP TOUGH ROAD CONTEST TO #33 SOUTH CAROLINA, 4-3
COLUMBIA, S.C. – What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. At least that's how the saying goes.
The Virginia Commonwealth University women's tennis team will look to that quote after dropping their second straight match, this time a tough 4-3 road decision to 33rd-ranked South Carolina.
"Whenever you're adjusting to playing outside, it's tough," Associate Head Coach Yana Carollo said. "However, that's not an excuse. We need to come together as a team and use the last two matches as learning experience so that we can be a better team at the end of the year."
It started off as a good day for the Black & Gold as junior Alex Bara and senior Kateryna Yergina led the doubles charge for VCU, scoring a 8-4 win over 34th-ranked Dominika Kanakova and Dijana Stojic at the #1 doubles spot .
After the Rams took the doubles point, the Gamecocks would rally for three straight singles wins, but Bara would keep VCU in the match with a straight set, 6-4, 6-2 win at the third singles position. The victory moved her spring record to a perfect 13-0.
South Carolina would secure the win with a hard-fought win at the second singles spot, but freshman Daria Yakavleva finished the day on a positive note with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 victory at the sixth singles spot to wrap up the 4-3 decision for the Gamecocks.
VCU wraps up its Spring Break road trip with a 11 a.m. showdown at Furman.
#33 South Carolina 4, #30 VCU 3
1. #41 Anya Morgina, USC, def. Kateryna Yergina, VCU, 6-3, 7-5
2. Dijana Stojic, USC, def. Josefin Hjertquist, VCU, 6-0, 6-7 (8-6), 6-0
3. #125 Alex Bara, VCU, def. Katerina Popova, USC, 6-4, 6-2
4. Madeleine Saari-Byström, USC, def. Ana Bara, VCU, 6-1, 6-2
5. Dominika Kanakova, USC, def. Olga Terteac, VCU, 6-0, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Daria Yakavleva, VCU, def. Adriana Pereira, USC, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
1. #32 Alex Bara/Yergina, VCU, def. #34 Kanakova/Stojic, USC, 8-4
2. Miljana Jocic/Morgina, USC, def. Ana Bara/Hjertquist, VCU, 8-5
3. Manuela Pietzuch/Yakavleva, VCU, def. Popova/Saari-Bystrom, USC, 9-7
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3