#23 RAMS TAKE DOWN HOKIES, 6-1, BRING KOSTIN WITHIN ONE OF 900
RICHMOND, Va. – Not one player on the Virginia Commonwealth University women's tennis roster was even born when he tallied his first win, but they are making sure they are around for number 900.
After the 23rd-ranked Rams blew past in-state rival Virginia Tech, 6-1, on Saturday afternoon, Head Coach Paul Kostin finds himself just one win away from his 900th career victory. He would become just the fourth tennis coach in NCAA history to reach just a milestone.
"I don't play much attention to it. I just want to keep winning," Kostin said. "I've been fortunate to coach a lot of great players and I want that tradition to continue for as many years as possible."
On Saturday, the Black & Gold reeled off their ninth straight win to improve to 14-1 and have now won 22 straight matches inside the Thalhimer Tennis Center, dating back to April of 2009.
VCU's momentum continued with junior Alex Bara improving her spring record to 11-0 after defeating Tea Ivanovic, 6-1, 6-3 at the third singles spot.
After Virginia Tech got on the board with a win at #2 singles, freshman Olga Terteac got the Rams rolling again with a 6-4, 6-3 victory at the fifth single spot before junior Ana Bara and senior Kateryna Yergina secured the match victory for VCU with singles wins at #4 and #1 singles, respectively.
Yakavleva wrapped up the day with a 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (2) win at the sixth singles spot.
The Rams take a week off before returning to action with a road contest at N.C. State next Saturday. First serve is set for 1 p.m. in Raleigh, N.C.
#23 Virginia Commowealth 6, #68 Virginia Tech 1
1. Kateryna Yergina (VCU) def. Yasmin Hamza (VT) 7-6 (8), 7-5
2. #120 Martha Blakely (VT) def. Josefin Hjertquist (VCU) 6-3, 6-4
3. #107 Alex Bara (VCU) def. Tea Ivanovic (VT) 6-1, 6-3
4. Ana Bara (VCU) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
5. Olga Terteac (VCU) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-4, 6-3
6. Daria Yakavleva (VCU) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (2)
1. Alex Bara/Yergina def. Hamza/Holly Johnson (VT) 9-7
2. Blakely/Rauscher (VT) def. Ana Bara/Hjertquist (VCU) 8-6
3. Manuela Pietzuch/Yakavleva (VCU) def. Betts/Ivanovic (VT) 8-2