YERGINA, RAMS CONTINUE STRONG PLAY WITH 5-2 WIN OVER UT-ARLINGTON
RICHMOND, Va. – For the three-plus years that she has been a part of the Virginia Commonwealth University women's tennis team, senior Kateryna Yergina has always experienced playing in the NCAA Tournament.
In her final year with the Black & Gold, the Kiev, Ukraine native is doing her part to make sure VCU returns for a sixth straight season.
Yergina and the Rams improved their chances once more on Saturday afternoon when they breezed past the Mavericks of UT-Arlington, 5-2, at the Thalhimer Tennis Center. The win moves the Black & Gold to 9-1 on the year.
VCU swept through the doubles with Yergina and junior Alex Bara leading the way with an easy 8-1 win at the top doubles spot.
Freshman Olga Terteac increased the Rams lead to 2-0 with a 6-0, 6-3 victory at the sixth singles spot before Yergina brought VCU within one point of the win with a 6-2, 6-4 defeat of Daiana Negreanu at the top singles position.
UT-Arlington would pick up two wins at #2 and #3 in singles action, but straight set wins by Bara and freshman Daria Yakauleva at the fourth and fifth spots clinched match victory for the Black & Gold.
The Rams have a quick turnaround with the Retrievers of UMBC coming to Thalhimer on Sunday for an 11 a.m. showdown.
VCU 5, UT-Arlington 2
1. Yergina/Alex Bara def. Mayuk/Negreaunu 8-1
2. Hertquist/Ana Bara def. Aqvist/D'ortona 8-6
3. Yakauleva/Pietzuch def. Martinez/Matovicova 8-6
1. Yergina def. Negreanu 6-2, 6-4
2. Aqvist def. Hjertquist 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
3. Martinez def. Ana Bara 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4. Alex Bara def. Mayuk 6-2, 7-5
5. Yakauleva def. D'ortona 7-5, 6-1
6. Terteac def. Matovicova 6-0, 6-3