TAMPA, Fla. – The old saying goes
"It's not how many times you get knocked down, it's how many times
you get back up."
The 2010 version of the Virginia Commonwealth University women's tennis squad is doing a good job of showing that as the Rams bounced back from a tough loss on Saturday to blow past 16th-ranked South Florida, 4-2 on Sunday afternoon.
VCU improves to 16-4 on the year and has yet to drop back-to-back matches this spring.
For the fifth straight match, the Black & Gold jumped out to an early lead thanks to wins at #2 and #3 doubles.
The Bulls would not go away winning two of the first three singles matches to even the tally at 2-2.
That's when the Rams would take over as sophomore Alex Bara (Oradea, Romania) and junior Kateryna Yergina (Kiev, Ukraine) posted straight set wins at #5 and #3, respectively, to secure the upset win.
VCU will now look to wrap up its regular season on a high note when they take on conference rival, William & Mary, next Friday at 3 p.m. in Williamsburg.
#27 VCU 4, #16 South Florida 2
1. #15 Rehberger/Koning def. Ana Bara/Hjertquist, 8-4
2. Burns/Yergina def. Bejlkova/Shumate, 8-4
3. Alex Bara/Leonchuk def. Guevara/Zok, 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. #48 Irene Rehberger (USF) def. Ana Bara, 6-1, 6-2
2. Melissa Koning (USF) def. Hjertquist, 6-1, 7-5
3. Yergina def. Janette Bejlkova (USF), 7-6, 6-4
4. Burns vs. Ecaterina Vasenina (USF), 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 DNF
5. Alex Bara def. Allyn Mueller (USF), 6-2, 7-5
6. Leonchuk def. Natalia Guevara (USF), 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 1,6,2,5,3