Final Score: VCU 2, ODU 1
Location: Norfolk, Va. (Old Dominion Soccer Complex)
Records: VCU (4-2), ODU (2-2-2)
The Short Story: Sophomore midfielder Samantha Jerabek's goal in overtime lifted VCU to a 2-1 victory over in-state rival Old Dominion.
- Freshman forward Idelys Vazquez scored in the 45th minute to tie the game 1-1.
- Jerabek recorded two shots and one goal which led the team.
- Senior goal keeper Audrey Sanderson made four saves in the first half of tonight's match.
- Vazquez and Jerabek's goals were their second and third of the season respectively.
- Tonight's victory marked the fourth win in five matches for the Rams.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jerabek scored the game-winning goal in the 92nd minute from about 25 yards out. The shot was a high strike that sailed just out of ODU's keeper's reach. The goal gave VCU a 2-1 win.
- Vazquez's goal came at a big time for the Rams as they were trailing 1-0 just prior to halftime. The chance came on a rebound after junior defender Amanda Tredway's shot was saved by the goal keeper. The goal tied the game at 1-1 and changed the momentum of the game. Tredway was credited with the assist.
- Junior midfielder Rachel Hardy recorded the first shot of the game for the Rams in the 41st minute of the game. Her attempt was saved by ODU's keeper.
- ODU's lone goal of came on a rebound that was scored by Amanda Nhek in the 32nd minute.
HEAD COACH LINDSEY MARTIN
"We came out extremely slow this evening, but responded well in the first half to giving up a set piece goal. Id's (Idelys Vazquez) goal was a total momentum changer for the game. Second half was a battle from end to end, but Sammy (Samantha Jerabek) called it a night for everyone with a superb finish from 25 yards out. Great team win away from home. We earned some much needed rest this weekend. "
VCU returns home to Sports Backers Stadium, for a matchup with the Howard Bison at 7 p.m. on Thursday Sept. 13.