Final Score: VCU 1, Charlotte 0 (OT)
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU (1-1), Charlotte (1-0)
The Short Story: VCU's Rachel Hardy scored the game-winning goal in overtime on a 22-yard free kick in the 94th minute.
- Hardy scored her first career goal and tied for the team-high with two shots on goal.
- VCU pitched its first shutout of the year as Audrey Sanderson made three saves, all in the second half.
- Samantha Jerabek took a team-high three shots with two shots on goal.
- Cici Fox also took two shot attempts.
- The Rams had a 4-3 advantage in shots on goal but Charlotte outshot VCU 13-11 overall.
- VCU held a 6-5 edge in corner kicks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kelly Graves had the first chance of the game after Fox beat a defender and played a ball to the near post but Graves' shot attempt was blocked by a 49ers defender.
- The Rams outshot Charlotte 6-1 in the first half and 2-0 in shots on goal but the teams remained tied at 0-0 at halftime.
- Lana Golob thrawted a Charlotte counter attack in the 50th minute as her sliding tackle prevented a breakway.
- Alyssa Tallent played a through ball into Jerabek on a breakaway but Jerabek's shot attempt went wide left.
- Sanderson made back-to-back saves in the 66th minute to preserve.
- The teams remained tied at 0-0 at the end of regulation.
- Hardy capitalized on a free kick in the 94th minute as her shot went around the wall and found the top corner of the goal from 22 yards away.
HEAD COACH LINDSEY MARTIN
"I was really impressed with our performance today and the way we bounced back from our play on Friday. We played our style, settled into our game early and made smart decisions throughout. Obviously Rachel had a tremendous free kick in overtime to win. I couldn't be happier to see her score her first career goal."
VCU hosts High Point at 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 24 at Sports Backers Stadium.