Final Score: UNCW 3, VCU 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU (0-1), UNCW (1-0)
The Short Story: VCU outshot UNCW 12-10 overall but a 70th minute goal from the Seahawks pushed their lead to 3-1 and the Rams were unable to overcome the late deficit.
- The Rams outshot the Seahawks 12-10 overall with UNCW holding a slight 10-8 edge in shots on goal.
- Idelys Vazquez scored her first career goal in the 70th minute.
- Audrey Sanderson made five saves in goal for the Rams.
- Vazquez recorded a team-high three shots including two shots on goal.
- Kimberly Ito also recorded three total shots.
- Cici Fox took two shots including one on goal.
- Three other Rams took one shot.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sanderson made three saves on three UNCW shot attempts in the first seven minutes of the game.
- Ito took VCU's first shot in the 10th minute but her effort went wide.
- The Rams earned three corner kicks over the next 10 minutes of action but the Seahawks turned away all three efforts.
- The Seahawks scored their first goal in the 20th minute as Ashley Johnson tapped in a deflected corner kick at the back post.
- Alyssa Tallent's shot in the 66th minute was saved by Sydney Schneider and Ito's shot off the rebound was also stopped.
- The Seahawks stretched their lead to 2-0 in the 67th minute when Kristen Bootes scored.
- The Rams earned a goal back just two minutes later as Vazquez got in behind the defense and slid her shot underneath the Seahawks' goalkeeper.
- UNCW answered 30 seconds later as Morgan Nanni scored on a Baley Edwards assist to make it 3-1.
VCU hosts Charlotte at 2 p.m. on Sunday at Sports Backers Stadium.