Final Score: VCU 2, George Mason 1
Location: George Mason Stadium (Fairfax, Va.)
Records: VCU 10-5-3 (5-3-2 A-10), La Salle 9-8-2 (6-2-2 A-10)
The Short Story: After a dominating second half, the sixth-seeded VCU Rams got a clutch header from senior Megan Dell with just over a minute to play in regulation to take home a 2-1 victory in the Atlantic 10 Quarterfinals over the third-seeded George Mason Patriots. With the win, the Rams will return home and play in the Atlantic 10 Semifinals next Friday.
- The Rams outshot the Patriots 9-6, with eight shots coming in the second half.
- Dell's goals were her third and fourth of the season, and her first two-goal game of the season.
- Susannah Friedrichs and Tori Browne each notched assists on each of Dell's goals.
- VCU led the corner kick battle 5-4, while George Mason led in fouls 13-6.
- Goalkeeper Audrey Sanderson made three saves for her 10th victory this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It would be a possession based game over the first 20 minutes of the game, as only one shot by Mason was the only number in the box score up to that point.
- The Patriots would get the first break in the action in that 20th minute, as Shannon Lee would tuck a goal behind Sanderson off a corner kick to take a 1-0 lead early.
- The Rams struggled to find shots in the first half, as things led to a 1-0 score into halftime.
- Just minutes into the second half, Dell would strike for her first goal of the game. She would snipe the upper right 90 off a free kick to tie the game at 1-1.
- VCU's offense found its rhythm, pressuring the Patriots defense with multiple offensive opportunities down the stretch.
- With a corner kick setting up with just over a minute to go, Friedrichs would send the ball in destined for the near post. Dell's run to the front would get to the ball first, and the ball would skip off her head and into the net to give the Rams a late 2-1 lead.
- As the defense also found their footing down the stretch, they held off Mason over the final seconds to hang on and move on in the tournament.
VCU returns to the pitch next Friday, November 3 as they will return to Sports Backers Stadium for the Atlantic 10 Semifinals. The sixth-seeded Rams will face seventh-seeded Saint Joseph's at 4:30 pm. VCU defeated Saint Joseph's 1-0 in their only meeting this year at Sports Backers on a late goal from Alyssa Tallent on October 5.