Final Score: La Salle 1, VCU 0
Location: McCarthy Stadium (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Records: VCU 9-5-3 (5-3-2 A-10), La Salle 14-3-2 (9-0-1 A-10)
The Short Story: With their season finale on the docket today, the VCU Rams used a strong offensive attack but could not find the back of the net as the Black & Gold fell to the La Salle Explorers by a final score of 1-0. Despite the result, the Rams clinched a playoff spot in the Atlantic 10 Tournament, which starts next weekend.
- The Rams outshot the Explorers 15-12 in the contest, and led in corner kicks 4-2.
- Goalkeeper Audrey Sanderson made seven saves in the game, and will finish the regular season third in the conference with a 0.72 goals against average.
- Julia Suarez will be the top point getter on the squad with 11 points this season, putting up four goals and three assists.
- Megan Dell had a team high four shots on the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both sides played back and forth through the midfield for a majority of the first half, with each side putting up only one shot apiece through the first 30 minutes.
- Over the final 15 minutes before halftime, La Salle would own a 4-3 shot advantage. However, despite the efforts the game would be 0-0 entering halftime.
- The Rams got things going early in the second half, getting a solid scoring chance off a corner kick by Amanda Hallesjo in the 47th minute. Her shot would be saved keeping things scoreless.
- La Salle would break the ice in the 54th minute, as Danielle Marx tallied her first goal of the season. A throw in would get flicked into the box, finding the foot of Marx who would slide it by Sanderson for the goal.
- Despite multiple shot attempts down the stretch, including four between the 65th and 72nd minute, the Rams couldn't find the back of the net.
- Amanda Tredway would get a scoring opportunity with 15 seconds to play, but her shot would be wide left, clinching the win for La Salle.
VCU returns to the pitch next Sunday in the opening round of the Atlantic 10 Tournament. The game will be hosted at George Mason, who will be the #3 seed for the tournament, with the Rams the #6 seed. Kickoff next Sunday afternoon is set for 1 p.m.