Final Score: VCU 2, Rhode Island 1 (2 OT)
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 9-4-3 (5-2-2 A-10), Rhode Island 3-14-0 (0-9-0 A-10)
The Short Story: In the 102nd minute, Lyndsey Gutzmer finished off what would be an overtime winner in a VCU 2-1 victory over the Rhode Island Rams. With the win, the Rams grab their ninth victory of the season for the third time in the past five seasons.
- Gutzmer's goal would be her third goal of the season, and her second game-winning goal of the season. She becomes the second Ram of the season with multiple game-winning goals.
- Niki Malancone would score her first goal of the season, as well as her first career goal in a VCU uniform.
- VCU outshot Rhode Island 27-5 overall in the game, putting 15 shots on net to Rhode Island's one.
- The Black & Gold held Rhode Island without a corner kick in the 102 minutes, as well as held them without a shot in the overtime periods.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It would take the VCU offense a little while to get cooking in the first half, as they were held to one shot over the first 20 minutes. Over the next 20 minutes, the Rams would shoot off eight unanswered shots until they would score.
- Malancone would pick up the rebound off her own shot in the 42nd minute, finishing for her first goal of the season and giving VCU a 1-0 lead.
- The Rams would hold that lead into halftime, leading a 13-2 shot advantage over the first 45 minutes.
- In the 59th minute, Svan Hermannsdottir scored a goal off a free kick for Rhode Island, tying the game up 1-1.
- The score would stand tied through 90 minutes, sending the game to overtime despite the Rams having multiple opportunities to score down the stretch.
- In the first overtime, VCU put two shots on net and kept up the pressure. However, the game would go into a second overtime.
- It would be just over a minute into the second overtime, when Kimi Ito would fire a shot that would get saved. Closing in on the net was Megan Dell, who got a close range shot off that was also saved and deflected to the right.
- Waiting for the deflection was Gutzmer, who finished off the ball into the empty net to win the game for the Rams, 2-1.
VCU returns to the pitch this Sunday, October 22 as they will play their final regular season game on the road. The Rams travel to La Salle to take on the Explorers, with kickoff set for 1 p.m.