Final Score: VCU 4, St. Bonaventure 1
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 8-4-3 (4-2-2 A-10), St. Bonaventure 1-13-3 (1-5-2 A-10)
The Short Story: It only took three minutes to get the game-winning goal for the VCU Rams on Sunday afternoon. Two quick goals supplemented by two second half goals led to a 4-1 win over the St. Bonaventure Bonnies.
- The Rams dominated both sides of the ball, only allowing six shots, all coming in the second half. VCU would tally 20 total shots for the game with eight on net.
- With her goal, Julia Suarez now leads the team in points with 11, the first to reach double-digit points for the season.
- Freshman Samantha Jerabek would score her first collegiate goal of her career, while Suarez, Megan Dell, and Lyndsey Gutzmer added goals as well.
- Goalkeeper Audrey Sanderson made two saves on the day en route to the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It took just about two minutes for the Rams to get on the board, as a hand ball was called inside the 18-yard box on the Bonnies. That would lead to a penalty kick that Dell would convert to give VCU the 1-0 lead.
- Just a minute later, Gutzmer would add another score, as a long cross from Amanda Hallesjo would find Gutzmer inside the six for her second goal of the season. That goal in the 3rd minute would give VCU a 2-0 lead.
- VCU dominated the first half, outshooting the Bonnies 15-0 over the first 45 minutes. The Black & Gold would hold the 2-0 lead into halftime.
- Jerabek would add to the third goal for the Rams in the 61st minute, as she sent a long ball from 30 yards out towards the net. The ball would find the upper right 90 for a 3-0 VCU lead.
- The Rams would tack on a fourth goal in the 73rd minute, as Suarez finished a cross off from Maddi Santo.
- Just seconds after the Rams' fourth goal, St. Bonaventure would grab one of their own as Danielle Vis would run down a long service by Tori Bernardo and slip one by Sanderson to put the score at 4-1.
- The Rams would hold down the fort for the remaining time, taking the 4-1 win.
VCU returns to the pitch this Thursday, October 19 as they will play their final home game of the season at Sports Backers Stadium as they take on the Rhode Island Rams on Senior Day. The Rams will honor their two seniors, Megan Dell and Amanda Hallesjo, with kickoff at 7 p.m.