Final Score: VCU 1, Richmond 0
Location: Robins Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 7-4-3 (3-2-2 A-10), Richmond 2-11-1 (2-4-1 A-10)
The Short Story: Defense and a well-timed first half goal were the keys to the game for the VCU Rams on Thursday night, as they defeated the Richmond Spiders by a final score of 1-0. The Rams earned three points, keeping them in playoff contention in the Atlantic 10 standings.
- Audrey Sanderson posted her fifth shutout of the season, making four saves on the game.
- Kimberly Ito scored her second goal of the season in the match, while Julia Suarez earned the assist on the score.
- With the assist, Suarez is now tied for the team lead in points with Amanda Tredway with nine.
- VCU outshot the Spiders 13-8 in the game, and held the slight 6-5 advantage in corner kick opportunities.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Samantha Jerabek rang the crossbar early in the second minute, setting the tone for the VCU offense on the game.
- After outshooting the Spiders 5-1 over the first 25 minutes, Ito used the Rams' sixth shot to put the first goal on the board. A pass from Suarez found the foot of Ito, who knocked it in low left corner to give VCU the 1-0 lead.
- Richmond would pick up the offense toward the end of the first half, but the game would stay 1-0 after the first 45 minutes.
- The second half brought back and forth play between the two teams, as the Rams and Spiders traded shots through the first 20 minutes of the half.
- VCU began to take over the tempo of the game from then on, as the offense got back going with shots from Suarez, Alyssa Tallent, and Tredway.
- Defense was name of the game through the 90th minute, as the Rams held the Spiders without a clean shot attempt through the final 15 minutes of play, clinching the 1-0 win.
VCU returns to the pitch this Sunday afternoon, as they return home to Sports Backers Stadium to take on the St. Bonaventure Bonnies. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m.