Final Score: VCU 1, Saint Joseph's 0
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 6-3-3 (2-1-2 A-10), Saint Joseph's 6-5-2 (1-3-1 A-10)
The Short Story: A 77th minute goal from sophomore Alyssa Tallent and strong defensive play aided the VCU Rams Women's Soccer team in their 1-0 victory over the Saint Joseph's Hawks on Thursday night. The win would be the Rams second conference win of the season.
- With her goal, Tallent moves into a tie for second on the team in points with Julia Suarez with eight points. The goal would be her third of the season.
- Audrey Sanderson grabbed another clean sheet on the season, lowering her goals against average on the season to 0.71.
- Suarez and Lyndsey Gutzmer each picked up assists on Tallent's goal.
- The Rams now have not lost a game at Sports Backers Stadium yet in 2017, and are on a eight game unbeaten streak at home dating back to last season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams offense took the first five shots of the game, and held the Hawks without a shot through the first 33 minutes of the game.
- Samantha Jerabek had one of the best chances to score in the first half for the Rams, as she got inside the 18-yard box and took a shot from about eight yards. Her shot would be saved, but set the tone for the Rams offense going forward.
- Audrey Sanderson would make a big save in the 32nd minute, as she made a leaping catch to her left, snagging the ball out of the air and keeping the game scoreless.
- With a 0-0 score through the first 45 minutes, both sides played quite a defensive game over the first 25 minutes of the second half.
- In the 77th minute, Tallent would break the ice and score for VCU, giving the Black & Gold a 1-0 lead.
- Tallent would get another good shot that went just wide three minutes later, but the 1-0 score would hold up through the 90th minute for the win.
VCU returns to the pitch this Sunday afternoon, October 8 as they travel to Fairfax to take on the George Mason Patriots. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.