Final Score: VCU 3, Davidson 2
Location: Alumni Soccer Stadium (Davidson, N.C.)
Records: VCU 5-2-2 (1-0-1 A-10), Dayton 2-9-0 (0-2-0 A-10)
The Short Story: Offense was the name of the game on Sunday afternoon for the VCU Rams, as a carousel of shots led to a 25-6 advantage for the Black and Gold in a 3-2 win over the Davidson Wildcats.
- Maddi Santo would collect a pair of goals on the afternoon, her first tallies of the season.
- Stephanie Stahl would also collect her first goal of the season, taking a pair of shots.
- Julia Suarez took a team-high four shots, while four others had at least three shots.
- Audrey Sanderson collected her fifth win of the season in net.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Through the first 25 minutes of the match, VCU hold the offensive advantage, highlighted by a ring off the crossbar by Santo.
- The offensive outpour came to fruition in the 30th minute, as Stahl tallied her first goal of the season. She would snag her goal from a shot outside the box to the top far corner, assisted by Amanda Tredway.
- VCU would finish off the first half strong with four shots and a corner opportunity, and led 1-0 after the first 45 minutes.
- The Rams continued the offense at the start of the second half, and didn't take long for another score. Santo would grab the goal on an assist from Samantha Jerabek. That would give VCU a 2-0 lead in the 52nd minute.
- Davidson came back within one in the 70th minute, as Katie Im broke behind the VCU defense and slid a shot by Audrey Sanderson to bring the score to 2-1.
- Just six minutes later, Santo would notch the dagger as she would score for the second time in the game. A failed clear in the 18 by Davidson would lead to the turnover, and Santo would sneak in a shot near post to bring the score to 3-1.
- The Wildcats would threaten a comeback with a goal in the 85th minute, as Allison Gray found a long through ball from Gretchen Pearson and made the score 3-2.
VCU returns to the pitch this Thursday, September 28 as they hit the road for Pittsburgh to take on Duquesne. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.