Final Score: VCU 0, Dayton 0 (2OT)
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 4-2-2, Dayton 5-4-1
The Short Story: For the second time in as many games, the VCU Rams would play to a draw after 110 minutes. This time, it would be to open up Atlantic 10 play against the Dayton Flyers on Thursday night. VCU would rip 25 total shots on the night.
- Julia Suarez and Lyndsey Gutzmer each took five shots on the night. Gutzmer had three on net, while Suarez put two on net.
- Amanda Tredway also took five shots, while seven other Rams took at least one shot on the night.
- Audrey Sanderson made four saves, including one key late save, to preserve her fourth shutout of the season.
- The Rams offense forced Dayton goalie Kaelyn Johns to make 10 saves on the night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Gutzmer would be an early offensive catalyst, grabbing the first three shot attempts for the Rams. Her first two tries were the best opportunities, one saved by Dayton and second just high over the crossbar.
- Despite the strong VCU offense, Dayton would get the best chance of the first half. Madeleine Morrissey would ring the crossbar for the Flyers in the 42nd minute, which would be as close Dayton would come in the first 45.
- At the half, the score would would stand at 0-0. VCU held a 7-3 shot advantage, as Dayton goalie Kaelyn Johns had to make five saves in the first half.
- After a Kimberly Ito shot to start the half in the opening seconds, things stayed quiet over the first 25 minutes of the half. In the 71st minute, both VCU and Dayton each had good scoring opportunities, each coming with a good save by the goalies to keep things scoreless. Maddi Santo would get another chance minutes later, and would get stopped again.
- As time ran down under 10 minutes to go, Dayton picked up the pace on offense. The Flyers had two shots just miss the net, as they had four good shots in those final 10 minutes.
- The clock would hit the 90-minute mark with no goals scored on each side, leading to overtime for the second time in as many games.
- Gutzmer would have the best look in the first overtime, as she would ring a shot off the crossbar in the 98th minute. Tredway would follow with a header but it would go high.
- In the second overtime, both Suarez and Tredway put up a pair of shots each but couldn't find the twine as the match ended in a draw.
VCU returns to the pitch this Sunday, September 24, as the Rams will travel to Davidson for their second Atlantic 10 matchup of the year. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m.