Final Score: VCU 1, Longwood 1 (2OT)
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 4-2-1, Longwood 5-3-1
The Short Story: The VCU Rams played a hard fought match on Thursday night against the Longwood Lancers. In a game that featured solid offense and plenty of good saves from each goalkeeper, the end result would end in a draw, as the Rams and Lancers played to a 1-1 score after 110 minutes of play.
- Tori Browne collected her second goal of the season in the second half, scoring unassisted.
- The offense topped Sunday's performance with 26 total shots on the game, with 10 on net.
- Audrey Sanderson stepped up and made seven saves on the night on eight shots on goal from the Lancers.
- VCU tallied up eight total chances on corner kicks to Longwood's two opportunities.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Longwood opened the scoring in the 23rd minute, as Emily Mothersbaugh got in behind the VCU defense for a breakaway goal, making the score 1-0 in favor of the Lancers.
- The Rams spurned off three unanswered shots before the half, as Kimberly Ito, Kelly Graves, and Rachel Hardy each grabbed opportunities. However, the score would remain 1-0 entering the half.
- VCU broke through with the equalizer in the 63rd minute, as Tori Browne picked up a loose ball near the top of the 18-yard box. She made a run, danced around a defender, and took a shot that found the back of the net to tie things up at 1-1.
- The goal would ignite the offense, as VCU took a major shot advantage in the first 30 minutes of the second half, putting out 10 shots to the Lancers' five. The Rams would finish with 14 for the half.
- Both sides pressed on offense over the final 15 minutes of regulation, with the Rams leading the battle in shots. However, the match remained tied after 90 minutes, sending the Rams into overtime for the first time this season.
- The Rams and Lancers would play an additional 20 minutes of overtime, but could not find a winner as the match would end in a 1-1 draw after two overtimes.
VCU returns to the pitch next Thursday, September 21 as they return to Sports Backers to take on the Dayton Flyers. The game marks the opening Atlantic 10 Conference matchup of the season, with kickoff set for 7 p.m.