Final Score: VCU 2, UNC Greensboro 0
Location: UNCG Soccer Complex (Greensboro, N.C.)
Records: VCU 4-2-0, UNCG 2-5-1
The Short Story: The VCU Rams responded in the best possible way to their loss on Friday evening, as they dominated play on Sunday and took a 2-0 win over the UNC Greensboro Spartans. Both Alyssa Tallent and Amanda Tredway each scored on the afternoon as the Rams unloaded 20 shots while also holding the Spartans without a shot all game.
- Tallent's goal was her second of the season, while Tredway collected her team-leading fourth goal of the year.
- Maddi Santo, Stephanie Stahl, and Kimberly Ito each collected assists on the day.
- Goalie Audrey Sanderson did not face a shot all day, with credit to the VCU defense. The shutout would go in as her third clean sheet of the season.
- Both teams were just about even in corner opportunities, as the Spartans had five corner opportunities while the Rams had four.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It didn't take long for the Rams to get on the board, as Tallent would score in the 8th minute. Great ball movement from Santo and Stahl led to the chance in the top of the 18-yard box. That would give VCU the 1-0 lead.
- With the offense flying, the Rams struck again in the 26th minute, as it would be Tredway off the assist from Ito. Ito's cross from the left wing fell to Tredway in the middle of the 18 where should would finish off the opportunity.
- With the 2-0 lead, VCU continued to pour on the offense as they finished the first half with 15 shots. They would go into the half with a 2-0 lead.
- Things got chippy in the second half, as four yellow cards were handed out in the second half.
- Despite the physicality, the Rams found five more looks in the second half, including a shot by Tredway that rung off the crossbar in the 77th minute.
- The defense held strong though the final 90 minutes to hold the 2-0 score for the win.
VCU returns to the pitch this Thursday, September 14 as they return to the field to take on the Longwood Lancers. The game will take place at Sports Backers Stadium, with kickoff set for 7 p.m.