Final Score: Charlotte 3, VCU 2
Location: Transamerica Field (Charlotte, N.C.)
Records: VCU 3-2-0, Charlotte 4-3-0
The Short Story: After tying the game with five minutes to go, the VCU Rams Women's Soccer team landed in unexpected circumstances as the Charlotte 49ers scored a goal just a minute later to down the Rams 3-2 in regulation.
- The Rams outshot the 49ers 13-12 on the game, and also won the shots on goal battle 8-6.
- Tori Browne led the way with three shots, while Julia Suarez, Samantha Jerabek, and Susannah Friedrichs each put up two shots apiece.
- Goalkeeper Audrey Sanderson made three saves in the match, as she faced 13 shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Julia Suarez got the scoring started in the 28th minute, as she collected the ball from the defender and smashed a shot from 15 yards out that found the back of the net. That would give the Rams a 1-0 lead.
- Just minutes later, Charlotte would tie things up on a goal from Julia Grainda. Her goal would tie things up at 1-1.
- After the first 45 minutes, things went into half tied at 1-1. Grainda would come out and give the 49ers a 2-1 lead in the 55th minute, as her low shot would find the low left corner.
- With time winding down, Tori Browne would come through in the clutch and tie the game at 2-2 in the 85th minute. A long shot would slip past the goalie into the left side of the net, giving Browne her first goal of the season.
- Just 1:08 later in the 86th minute, Charlotte would take the lead back as Kyla Clark tallied on a shot from inside the 18-yard box leading to the 3-2 score that would go final.
- Browne added a shot in the 89th minute as the Rams final attempt, but could not convert.
VCU returns to the pitch this Sunday, Sept. 10 as it heads to UNC Greensboro. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m.