Final Score: VCU 2, Davidson 1
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 5-4-1 (1-0-0 A-10), Davidson 4-6-0 (0-1-0 A-10)
The Short Story: Julia Suarez and Megan Dell each provided highlight quality goals on Thursday night, as the pair would lift the VCU Rams to a 2-1 victory over the Davidson Wildcats to open up Atlantic 10 Conference play. Suarez would come out with two points, with the assist on Dell's goal. The win would give the Rams their second in a row, and solid start to their A-10 slate.
- VCU held Davidson without a shot in the first half, while the Rams put up nine first half shots. For the match, the Rams put up 16 shots, with five on net.
- Suarez now leads VCU in goals on the season with five, taking over sole possession of the category over teammate Maddi Santo.
- Goalkeeper Audrey Sanderson snagged her fifth win of the season, making four saves on five shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams had five shots in the first seven minutes of play, including two on net. Both Kelly Graves and Julia Suarez had good looks at the net, but could not convert them into scores.
- Back-to-back shots from Natalie Robles and Megan Dell in the final six minutes of the first half would lead the Rams into the locker room with multiple opportunities on net with nothing to show for it. After 45 minutes, the score between the two sides would be 0-0.
- Davidson came out with three shots on goal right off to start the first half, putting pressure on VCU.
- That pressure finally broke through in the 53rd minute, as Perry Zollicoffer connected for her first goal of the season for Davidson. Zollicoffer would score olympico style off a corner kick, giving the Wildcats a 1-0 lead.
- Just minutes later in the 58th minute, Suarez would turn and rip a shot from about 30 yards out just a few feet from the near side touch line. The shot would bend in the upper 90 near post to tie the game 1-1, and give Suarez her team-leading fifth goal of the season.
- It didn't take much longer for the Rams to take the lead, as Dell would then chorale a pass from Suarez straight on from about 25 yards out. After one solid dribble to her right, Dell took the shot that would snipe the upper right 90 for her second goal of the season, and give VCU a 2-1 lead.
- From there, the Rams would hold down the fort on defense and keep Davidson scoreless the rest of the way to grab the 2-1 victory.
VCU will return to action on Sunday, October 2 when they have their second game in conference play at Sports Backers Stadium. They will play host to the Duquesne Dukes, with a 1 p.m. kickoff.