August 22, 2014
RAMS DROP SEASON OPENER TO #5 VIRGINIA TECH, 6-0
- Score: #5 Virginia Tech 6, VCU 0
- Records: VCU (0-1-0), Virginia Tech (1-0-0)
- Location: Thompson Field – Blacksburg, Va.
- The Short Story: The VCU women's soccer team opened up its 2014 season with a tough 6-0 road loss at #5 Virginia Tech. Alex Gogolin and Kailyn Slade each tallied shots on goal, while senior Emma Kruse registered seven saves on the evening.
How It Happened
- The fifth-ranked Hokies took control early, scoring two goals in the first 10 minutes of the contest.
- Ashley Meier made it 3-0 in favor of VT in the 18th minute.
- The Rams would hold the Hokies silent for the next 45 minutes.
- Virginia Tech would add three goals over the final 30 minutes to wrap up the scoring on the night.
- "We were outmatched tonight against a superior Virginia Tech side. For moments in the game, we looked to compete and match their intensity, but too often coughed the ball up aiding to a counterattack. We must learn and grow from these past two ACC opponents and take care of business on Sunday. Some self reflection individually and collectively needs to take place before then." - Head Coach Lindsey Vanderspiegel
- VCU stays on the road and travels to Huntington, West Va. to take on the Thundering Herd of Marshall on Sunday. Game time is set for 1 p.m.