Rams Secure Spot in A-10 Tourney Despite 1-0 Setback Against Saint Louis
FINAL: Saint Louis 1, VCU 0 – Final (Richmond, Va. – Sports Backers Stadium)
RECORDS: VCU (8-7-3, 3-3-2 A-10), Saint Louis (6-10-2, 5-2-1 A-10)
VCU STARTERS: #18 Kruse (GK), #2 Krasko, #5 Smith, #6 Ritter, #7 Kunz, #8 Conrad, #10 Cressy, #32 Boyer, #33 Johansen, #35 Gogolin, #37 Moik
SAINT LOUIS STARTERS: #1 Benben (GK), #2 Bright, #3 Belgeri, #6 Marshall, #10 Jarrett, #11 Rodruguez, #14 Hummert, #16 Clemens, #17 Bush, #19 Elking, #24 Wright
- Saint Louis edged VCU 1-0 Sunday afternoon in its regular season finale at Sports Backers Stadium.
- Despite the loss, VCU qualifies for the Atlantic 10 Tournament, which is set to begin Thursday, Nov. 7 at Sports Backers Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Taryn Cressy had an early look when she fired a shot from about 20 yards out in the sixth minute, which sailed just high of the crossbar.
- Saint Louis then pulled ahead 1-0 five minutes later when Cristina Rodriguez finished a cross from Tori Belgeri, volleying the ball into the middle of the goal.
- Sophomore Kailyn Slade tried to net the equalizer just before intermission with a look from the left side in the 42nd minute but her shot was blocked.
- Saint Louis goalkeeper Hanna Benben came up with her first save of the match in the 47th minute when she made a stop on a shot off the foot of junior Maren Johansen.
- Benben made another save nine minutes later when senior Bex Kunz fired a shot to the right post from just outside the box.
- Cressy and sophomore Natalie Moik had looks in the 72nd minute but each shot sailed wide.
- Senior Jessie Krasko hit the crossbar with a strike from the right wing in the 77th minute.
- The Rams continued to battle as junior Alex Gogolin's shot two minutes later was blocked following a Cressy corner kick.
- Senior Courtney Conrad tried to tie it late in regulation but her offering from just inside the right corner of the box missed the far post with 1:28 to play.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- VCU held an 11-3 advantage in shots but just a 2-1 edge in shots on goal.
- Eight different Rams registered a shot.
- Cressy, Gogolin and Moik each fired two shots apiece for VCU.
"We're really disappointed with the result today but we're obviously glad to be in the A-10 Tournament here at home. We're looking forward to Thursday.
"We've been knocking on the door [with chances offensively] now for the last several games but unable to finish our chances. It's been the story for a few weeks now and we have to make it right [to make a run in the tournament]."
-Head Coach Lindsey Vanderspiegel
WHAT'S AHEAD: VCU hosts the Atlantic 10 Conference Championship Nov. 7-10 at Sports Backers Stadium. Final seeding and game times are yet to be announced.