October 27, 2013
RAMS BATTLE GEORGE WASHINGTON TO SCORELESS TIE
- Score: VCU 0, George Washington 0 (2 OT)
- Records: VCU (8-5-3, 3-1-2 A-10), George Washington (5-5-5, 2-3-2 A-10)
- Location: GW Field – Washington, D.C.
- The Short Story: Sophomore Emma Kruse made six saves en route to her sixth shutout of the fall as the VCU women's soccer team battled their way to a scoreless tie at George Washington on Sunday afternoon. Senior Jessie Krasko led the offensive attack with seven shots on the day, four of which came in the overtime periods.
How It Happened
- GW came out aggressive in the first half, testing Kruse early with six shots in the first 15 minutes, four of which were on target. However, Kruse was able to make the stops and kept the game scoreless.
- The game would remain scoreless into the break as the Rams continue to stifle any scoring chances by GW.
- After the break, the Rams came alive with eight shots in the second half, including three in a two-minute span with just over 15 minutes left, but shots by Krasko and Ana Clara Lopes were turned away as the game remained scoreless.
- In the first overtime period, Krasko peppered GW keeper Nicole Ulrick with shot after shot, but Ulrick made saves on three occasions to send the game into the second and final overtime period.
- Both teams had opportunities in overtime, including a VCU corner with under a minute to play, but a shot by sophomore Kailyn Slade went just high as the game ended in a scoreless draw.
- "We came out flat in the first half and had to battle to stay even until the break. Second half onward, I felt like we came into our own, dictated play and created offensive opportunities one after another. We were unable to convert however, and walk away with a tie on the road to a solid GW team. We are ready to return home next weekend for two big match ups to round out regular season conference play." – Head Coach Lindsey Vanderspiegel
- The Rams return home next weekend for their final two regular season games. Crosstown rival Richmond kicks off the weekend when they visit Sports Backers on Friday, Nov. 1 for a 7 p.m. showdown.