FINAL: College of Charleston 2, VCU 1 (Charleston, S.C.)
RECORDS: College of Charleston (2-3), VCU (1-4)
VCU STARTERS: #18 Kruse (GK), #2 Krasko, #6 Ritter, #7 Kunz, #8 Conrad, #9 Wojcik, #10 Cressy, #19 Ernest, #32 Boyer, #33 Johansen, #37 Moik
COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON STARTERS: #22 Sarasola (GK), #2 Sender, #3 Newman, #4 Reynolds, #5 Walker, #6 Mellem, #9 Herrmann, #10 Jones, #13 Koretsky, #19 Fichman, #21 Cardamone
- College of Charleston scored an early goal in each half to edge VCU 2-1 Friday night in Charleston, S.C.
- After trailing 1-0 in the fifth minute, senior Courtney Conrad tied the match in the 26th before the Cougars regained the lead for good in the 49th.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- College of Charleston struck first in the fifth minute when McCallie Jones collected the ball at midfield and then drove through the middle of the pitch for a 1-0 lead.
- Conrad scored the equalizer in the 26th minute following back-to-back strikes. After her first offering drilled the post, she collected the rebound and found the net from 10 yards out to knot the score at 1-1.
- VCU goalkeeper Emma Kruse collected a pair of saves in the 30th and 31st minutes to keep the game tied.
- Sophomore Natalie Moik tried to give VCU the lead in the 34th minute but Cougars goalkeeper Eli Sarasola made her first stop of the match. Senior Taryn Cressy followed with a shot wide left in the 35th minute.
- Kruse notched her third save just before intermission on a shot off the foot of Francesca Kentimenos in the 44th minute.
- College of Charleston regained the lead in the 49th minute when Jones drove down the right side and sent a cross into the middle to Nicole Koretsy, who found the lower left of the net for a 2-1 advantage.
- Junior Maren Johansen's attempt was blocked in the 56th minute before senior Jessie Krasko's look three minutes later sailed wide right.
- Johansen and Krasko had back-to-back looks again in the 75th minute. Johansen's first offering was blocked before Sarasola came up with a save as Krasko fired back the rebound.
- VCU, which outshot the Cougars 11-1 in the final 40 minutes, remained on the attack late as Conrad's shot drifted wide right in the 80th minute. Less than a minute later, Sarasola collected a save on a strike from Kailyn Slade before Johansen's shot was blocked in the 82nd minute. Johansen had another attempt high in the 85th.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Johansen (6) and Conrad (5) combined to register 11 of VCU's 16 shots.
- The Rams held a 16-9 advantage in shots. Six of College of Charleston's nine were on goal.
- Conrad, Krasko, Slade and Moik all had looks on frame for VCU.
- Kruse collected four saves in net for the Rams.
"We feel extremely frustrated with the result tonight. I thought we looked sharper in possession than we have all year, but coughed up two goals and couldn't manage to equalize. The season is young, but simply put we need to do better if we want to make it a memorable one."
-Head Coach Lindsey Vanderspiegel
WHAT'S AHEAD: VCU returns continues play in the College of Charleston Tournament on Sunday, Sept. 8 when the Rams battle Coastal Carolina at Noon. VCU returns to Sports Backers Stadium for its home opener against Maine. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m.