FINAL: La Salle 2, VCU 1 - OT (Atlantic 10 Championship - Kingston, R.I.)
VCU STARTERS: #89 Carden, #6 White, #7 Kunz, #8 Conrad, #9 Granados, #10 Cressy, #12 Edgcomb, #15 Moore, #23 Hovanesian, #32 Boyer and #33 Johansen
LA SALLE STARTERS: #1 Pakhtigian (GK), #3 Niemiec, #6 Chilcoat, #9 McVicker, #14 Flippo, #18 Washington, #19 Carbone, #21 Allen, #23 Gray, #25 Brennan, #29 Komarnicki
THE BASICS: La Salle's Maryam Huseini scored the golden goal in the 100th minute to lift top-seeded La Salle over third-seeded VCU 2-1 in the Atlantic 10 Championship match on Sunday. Sophomore Maren Johansen tallied VCU's goal in the 59th minute.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- VCU (12-5-5) wasted little time on the attack as junior Taryn Cressy had a chance in the game's first minute, but La Salle goalkeeper Gabby Pakhtigian made the save.
- In the 10th minute, the Rams had another look on a shot from Johansen but Pakhtigian came up with another stop.
- La Salle (17-4-1) had its first shot on frame in the 18th minute. Renee Washington threatened, but VCU senior goalkeeper Kristin Carden was there for the save.
- Pakhtigian made her third save of the match in the 37th minute when junior Courtney Conrad fired a shot off a corner kick.
- The Explores eventually took a 1-0 lead in the 48th minute. Jessica Kagan sent a pass into box to Washington, who snuck a shot into the right corner of the net.
- VCU scored the equalizer in the 59th minute. Senior Breiana White sent a cross into the box that Johansen controlled and fired into the right corner of the goal.
- La Salle had two more chances in the 73rd and 81st minutes to retake the lead, but Carden came up with a pair of saves to keep the match tied.
- The Rams final chance in regulation came in the 85th minute when sophomore Cristin Granados fired a shot, but Pakhtigian again made the stop.
- After battling to a 1-1 draw in regulation, La Salle stunned VCU with a golden goal in the 100th minute. Following a free kick, Huseini deflected the ball into the back of the net to give the Explorers the win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Carden, Granados, Johansen, junior Brianne Moore and senior Carly Edgcomb were all named to the Atlantic 10 All-Tournament Team.
- VCU outshot La Salle by a narrow 15-14 margin, including a 10-8 advantage in shots on goal.
- Johansen tallied her second goal of the tournament and third goal of the season.
- Carden finished with six saves for the Rams.
- VCU lost a heartbreaker in the conference championship match for the second straight season. The Rams fell to nationally ranked and top-seeded William & Mary in overtime of last year's Colonial Athletic Association title game.
"We're just so proud of every member of this team. We've continued to get better with every game. They have embraced a style of soccer that has required both grit and sophistication. We would have loved to bring back the title today, but I'm proud of what we've accomplished this season. It has been an honor to coach these women and we're grateful for what they've given to this soccer program."
-VCU Co-Head Coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak