FINAL: VCU 2, Saint Louis 0 (Richmond, Va. – Sports Backers Stadium)
VCU STARTERS: #89 Carden (GK), #7 Kunz, #8 Conrad, #9 Granados, #10 Cressy, #12 Edgecomb, #15 Moore, #20 Acosta, #23 Hovanesian, #32 Boyer, #33 Johansen
SAINT LOUIS STARTERS: #0 Walsh (GK), #2 Baumann, #5 Reimer, #9 Gebauer, #10 Jarrett, #13 Logan-Wood, #14 Hummert, #17 Bush, #19 Elking, #24 Wright, #27 Hammarlund
THE BASICS: Junior Courtney Conrad posted her third multi-goal game of the season, and second in her last three outings, to lead VCU to a 2-0 victory over Saint Louis. The Rams, who have just one loss in their last 12 home matches, also posted their seventh shutout of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- VCU (8-4-3, 3-2-0 A-10) held a 9-1 advantage in shots during the opening period. Senior Wendy Acosta fired four of the nine, while four different Rams had looks, but VCU couldn't find the net in the early going.
- The Rams held Saint Louis (3-7-3, 1-2-1 A-10) without a shot through the first 30 minutes of the match until senior goalkeeper Kristin Carden made a save on a soft shot from Alli Reimer in the 31st minute.
- Junior Taryn Cressy fired a pair of long shots from outside the box in both the fourth and fifth minutes. Acosta had back-to-back looks in the 18th minute and again in the 23rd and 34th. Conrad also collected two first-half shots.
- VCU eventually broke the stalemate in the 58th minute when Conrad broke loose and scored her team-leading eighth goal of the season. Acosta sent a long pass to Conrad on the right wing, who then drove through the box and beat Saint Louis goalkeeper Katie Walsh in the upper left corner for a 1-0 lead.
- Cressy had a look in the 67th minute but her shot went wide of the far post.
- Conrad scored again in the 70th minute to push VCU's lead to 2-0. Junior Brianne Moore sent a pass to Conrad just outside the box. Conrad collected the ball and then beat Walsh in the lower right post for her ninth goal of the year.
- Following a cross in the 76th minute, Saint Louis' Abbey Stock one-timed a shot just high from about five yards out. Cressy had a chance less than a minute later when she answered with a one-timer off a cross from junior Jessie Krasko, but it went just wide of the near post.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Conrad has four goals in VCU's last three games. Her nine goals are the second-most in the Atlantic 10.
- Acosta, Conrad and Cressy finished with four shots apiece for the Rams. The trio fired 12 of VCU's 15 shots.
- Carden posted her league-leading sixth shutout of the season, and second in the last three outings.
- The Rams, who have outscored their opponents 9-2 in the last three matches, hold a 24-12 advantage on the season.
"It was kind of a battle out there tonight. Saint Louis was really aggressive and we knew that we had to bring it in the second half, which we did. Scoring two goals tonight was just awesome."
-Junior forward Courtney Conrad