VCU Posts Dominating 6-0 Win Over Fordham in A-10 Home Opener
FINAL: VCU 6, Fordham 0 (Richmond, Va. – Sports Backers Stadium)
VCU STARTERS: #89 Carden (GK), #7 Kunz, #8 Conrad, #9 Granados, #12 Edgcomb, #15 Moore, #20 Acosta, #23 Hovanesian, #32 Boyer, #33 Johansen, #35 Gogolin
FORDHAM STARTERS: #1 Suther (GK), #3 Rooney, #7 Worden, #8 Carballeira, #9 Swift, #11 Canicatti, #16 Nowakowski, #17 Maksuti, #20 Camaj, #21 Abrams, #24 Murino
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- VCU, which fired the first 10 shots of the match, had a few looks early but couldn't connect as six different Rams collected shots in the opening period.
- Sophomore Maren Johansen fired a strike from the right side of the box in the 21st minute but Fordham goalkeeper Rachel Suther made a diving save. Senior Wendy Acosta had a solid look seven minutes later.
- Junior Courtney Conrad eventually put VCU on top with just under 10 minutes to go in the first half. After a deflection near midfield, Conrad corralled the ball and broke loose toward the goal where she eventually deposited a strike into the left corner to give the Rams a 1-0 lead.
- Conrad was at it again less than three minutes later when she took a feed from Johansen inside the box. She then finished in the left of the net to give VCU a two-goal advantage in the 38th minute.
- Conrad had two more shots on goal in the 52nd and 56th minutes but Suther made saves on both attempts.
- Acosta eventually gave VCU a three-goal cushion off a corner kick in the 59th minute. Sophomore Cristin Granados lofted a corner from the left side, which hit off the post. Acosta then finished the rebound into the right side of the net.
- Granados converted a penalty kick in the 64th minute to push the Rams' lead to 4-0. She added another less than five minutes later when she took a feed from Johansen on the left wing, drove to the box and finished in the right corner to make it 5-0.
- VCU wasn't done scoring as senior Ashley Grant found the net for the first time this season in the 85th minute. She took a feed from classmate Aisha Allen, which forced Fordham reserve keeper Ally White to drift too far in front of the goal, and Grant found the middle of the open net to make it 6-0.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- VCU extended its home unbeaten streak to 11 matches dating back to 2011.
- Eight different Rams fired shots on the night, with Conrad collected a game-high six (four on goal). Granados, Acosta and Johansen all had three apiece.
- With a pair of goals from Conrad and Granados, it marks the fourth time this season a VCU player has scored multiple goals in a game. Conrad has accomplished the feat twice.
- Rams' senior goalkeeper Kristin Carden posted her second straight and sixth shutout of the season.
"We are really, really proud of the team. We got almost everyone into the match today. We were up 2-0 at halftime, and we talked to them [in the locker room] about coming out and making a statement in our first A-10 home game. And that's what we did."
-VCU Co-Head Coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak
"I was really excited [with the outcome], it was our first home A-10 game. I was able to get some good bounces and finish the goals to help give our team the lead."
-Junior forward Courtney Conrad
VCU continues its longest home stand of the season when the Rams host La Salle at 1 p.m on Sunday, Oct. 7. The Black & Gold then welcomes Saint Louis to Sports Backers Stadium on Oct. 12.