FINAL: Charlotte 2, VCU 1 (Charlotte, N.C.)
VCU STARTERS: #89 Carden (GK), #7 Kunz, #8 Conrad, #9 Granados, #12 Edgcomb, #15 Moore,
#20 Acosta, #23 Hovanesian, #32 Boyer, #33 Johansen, and #35 Gogolin
CHARLOTTE STARTERS: #1 McHenry (GK), #2 Mulloy, #3 Waugh, #4 Dulaney, #7 Kiebel, #8 Rovito,
#14 Jones, #19 Dail, #21 Suarez #23 Olson, and #33 Lee
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams (5-3-3, 0-1-0) got on the scoreboard first with a goal in the 16th minute. Junior Courtney Conrad collected her own rebound at the penalty spot firing the ball into the back of the net.
- Charlotte's Amanda Jones had the 49ers only two chances in the first half. She took two shots that hit off the post in both the fifth and 36th minute.
- The 49ers (7-3-1, 1-0-0) came out on the attack to begin the second half. Monica Trickett and Dakota Olson each had chances in the 46th minute, but senior goalkeeper Kristin Carden came up with both saves.
- In the 55th minute, Maddie Kiebel sent the ball to Jones, whose shot from 20 yards out found the left side net to tie the game, 1-1.
- Following the goal, the Black and Gold became more offensive. VCU had four shots over a four minute span; Conrad had the first chance, but her shot sailed high. Senior Wendy Acosta had an opportunity moments later, but the shot deflected off the crossbar. Junior Brianne Moore nearly found the net off of a corner kick, however the shot was blocked, and classmate Jessie Krasko picked up the rebound, with her shot hitting the post.
- Jones had a chance to give the 49ers the lead in the closing minutes. She fired three shots in the final four minutes of regulation but they were all off target.
- The 49ers had the first chance in the overtime period, as Jennifer Lee sent a corner kick into the box for a Carrie Dail header, but Carden made the save.
- In the 100th minute, Dail sent a through ball into the box finding Jones who was able to just beat Carden.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Prior to the start of the match, there was a weather delay that lasted over an hour.
- The match was the Rams' fifth overtime game of the season, VCU has a record of 1-1-3 in overtime games.
- The loss snapped VCU's five match unbeaten streak, and is the first time the Black and Gold have lost in September.
- The Rams held a slight 16-13 advantage in shots, however the 49ers had a 7-6 edge in shots on goal.
- Conrad's goal was her fifth goal of the season, the junior has scored a goal in each of the Rams last three contest.
- Carden finished the night making five saves for the Rams.
"To lose a game as the time expires is obviously disappointing, but there is a lot for us to take away from tonight's match. I thought we created multiple opportunities to win the game, but we hit the post or just couldn't put it away. Maybe we score those on another night, but credit to Charlotte for fighting until the end. We'll learn, grow and move on from this match."
VCU Co-Head Coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak
The Rams continue Atlantic 10 play and conclude their four game road trip, with a match at George Washington on Sunday, Sept. 30. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.