VCU Uses Second Half Surge to Beat Old Dominion 2-1
FINAL: VCU 2, Old Dominion 1 (Norfolk, Va.)
VCU Starters: #89 Carden (GK), #7 Kunz, #8 Conrad, #9 Granados, #12 Edgcomb, #15 Moore, #20 Acosta, #23 Hovanesian, #32 Boyer, #33 Johansen, and #35 Gogolin
OLD DOMINION STARTERS: #1 Bush (GK), #5 Rogers, #9 Dougherty, #10 Klamut, #11 Clarke, #12 Survill, #16 Mertz, #18 Farrell, #23 Brock, #24 Boland, and #44 Jordan
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Courtney Conrad fired a shot on goal to get VCU's offense started in the ninth minute, but Old Dominion goalkeeper Laura Bush was there for her first save of the game.
- VCU (5-2-3) fired three more shots during a five-minute span beginning in the 14th minute when senior Wendy Acosta's shot sailed high. Moments later, Acosta had another look, but this time she pushed it just wide. Then in the 19th minute, sophomore Cristin Granados launched a shot wide left.
- Old Dominion (2-7-0) countered in the 23rd minute when Ashlee Coutu fired a shot, but VCU senior goalkeeper Kristin Carden posted the save.
- The Monarchs got on the board just before the half. In the 42nd minute, Amber Cook took a feed from Brook Boland off a throw in. Cook then headed the ball to Coutu who punched it over the head of Carden to give Old Dominion a 1-0 lead.
- The Rams would eventually knot the score in the 63rd minute. Acosta fired a shot from 40 yards out, which sailed just under the crossbar to even the match at 1-1.
- After the goal, VCU remained on the attack. In the 65th minute, sophomore Casey Boyer launched a shot off of a corner kick, but it was blocked. On the ensuing corner kick, Acosta had another chance, but her attempt was high.
- The Black & Gold continued to rally and Acosta found the net for the second time in 74th minute to give VCU the lead for good. Sophomore Alex Gogolin's shot hit of the post but Acosta fired the rebound into the right corner to put the Rams on top 2-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- With the win, the Rams improve their unbeaten streak to six matches. VCU has not lost since Aug. 26 at Tennessee.
- Acosta's two goals give her three on the season. For the second straight game, VCU had a player score multiple goals as Conrad had a pair at William & Mary on Sept. 20.
- Gogolin's assist was the first point of her VCU career.
- VCU outshot Old Dominion 20-4, including an 8-2 advantage in shots on goal.
- Acosta led the Rams' charge taking seven shots, while Conrad finished with six (three on goal).
"We really have to give ODU a lot of praise for the way they came out against us today. They competed, won a lot of the 50/50 balls and made it tough for us to settle into our rhythm. They countered and were able to go up early. We had our chances but were just a bit off going into halftime. I thought we came out strong in the second half and were lifted by Wendy [Acosta]'s world class goal. Thursday's match [at William & Mary] took a lot out of us mentally and physically, so I'm glad we could dig deep to close out the road trips with a win."
-VCU Co-Head Coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak
The Rams begin their inaugural Atlantic 10 schedule on Sept. 28 with a road match against Charlotte. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.