Final Score: VCU 13, ODU 10
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary Street Field)
Records: VCU (1-0, 0-0 A-10), ODU (0-2, 0-0 Big East)
The Short Story: The Rams jumped on the Monarchs early, building a 9-2 lead with 4:54 left in the first half. ODU got within 11-8 midway through the second half but the Rams scored back-to-back goals to put the game out of reach.
- Molly Barcikowski scored a game-high four goals and added three assists. With her first goal, she joined Sky Hyatt as the only VCU players to eclipse 100 career goals.
- Sofia Emond scored two goals and added an assist along with two draw controls.
- Zoe Zebersky and Caroline Glenn each caused a team-high four turnovers. Glenn had a team-best five ground balls.
- VCU had seven players record at least one goal.
- The Rams outshot the Monarchs 33-31 overall and 26-24 in shots on goal.
- Ria Peralta made 14 saves to preserve the win.
- Sophia Richie scored four goals and added an assist to lead ODU.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU opened the scoring with back-to-back goals and led 2-0 with 20:27 left before halftime.
- The Rams and Monarchs each scored two goals as VCU led 4-2 with 13:20 remaining.
- Emond's goal began a streak of five unanswered goals for VCU to build a 9-2 lead. The Monarchs got a goal back before halftime but trailed the Rams 9-3 at the break.
- ODU scored five of the next seven goals coming out of halftime and cut VCU's lead to just 11-8.
- The Rams got its next two goals from Barcikowski who gave VCU a 13-8 lead and the Rams held off ODU's late rally.
VCU hosts UMBC at 1 p.m. on Feb. 16 at Cary Street Field.