Final Score: Army 13, VCU 11
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary Street Field)
Records: VCU 1-4, Army 6-2
The Short Story: Trailing 9-4 with 28:42 remaining in the second half, VCU scored four unanswered goals in less than 12 minutes to cut its deficit to just 9-8. Army responded with three unanswered goals and held on for the close victory.
- Sky Hyatt scored a game-high five goals on 11 total shots. Hyatt also had a team-high four draw controls and two ground balls.
- Keriann McTavish scored two goals and added an assist on just two shots.
- Molly Barcikowski also tallied two goals and an assist.
- Ria Peralta and Gillian Belfiore combined for 11 saves during the contest.
- Army was led by Rachel Hornick who scored four goals and added an assist.
- The Black Knights outshot VCU 30-28 overall and 24-20 in shots on goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams battled early in the contest as Army held a slight 4-3 advantage with 12:41 left in the first half.
- The Black Knights then scored three of the final four goals of the half to take a 7-4 lead into halftime.
- VCU battled back after falling behind 9-4 early in the second stanza as McTavish scored twice while Hyatt and Evans-Riester each scored as part of four unanswered goals that trimmed Army's lead to 9-8.
- VCU fell behind 13-9 with 5:28 remaining and despite closing the deficit to just 13-11, the Rams' comeback ran out of time.
VCU travels to William and Mary at 6 p.m. on March 14.