Final Score: ODU 11, VCU 9
Location: Norfolk, Va. (L.R. Hill Sports Complex)
Records: VCU 0-1, ODU 1-0
The Short Story: The Rams built a 5-3 lead lead with 1:47 left before halftime but two quick goals from the Monarchs helped them tie the game 5-5 at the break. The Monarchs came out of halftime and scored three consecutive goals to take the lead. VCU got as close as 9-8 with 13:26 remaining but two ODU goals seal the win for the Monarchs.
- Sofia Emond scored a hat trick on just six shot attempts with five of them on goal.
- Sky Hyatt added two goals and three draw controls.
- Blaire Langeler scored a goal and added an assist.
- Keriann McTavish scored a goal and added a ground ball while Jessica Del Rossi also scored once.
- Clare Murphy added a goal and a team-high four draw controls.
- VCU outshot the Monarchs 28-25 overall including 20-18 in shots on goal.
- The Rams also led 11-10 in caused turnovers and 11-10 in draw controls.
- ODU was led by Brooke Stein who scored three goals and added two assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Monarchs got the first goal of the game but the Rams were able to retake the lead at 3-2 with 7:56 left in the first half after back-to-back goals from Del Rossi and Emond.
- ODU tied the game 3-3 but VCU again scored back-to-back goals, both from Hyatt, to build its biggest lead of the game at 5-3 with 1:47 left before halftime.
- The Monarchs got two quick goals in the final 50 seconds of the half to tie the game 5-5 at the break.
- ODU then scored three straight goals to start the second half and led 8-5 with 26:38 remaining.
- The Rams would not go away and scored three of the next four goals to battle back to 9-8 with 13:26 left.
- The Monarchs scored the games next two goals to pull away from the Rams.
VCU will next play at UMBC at 12 p.m. on Feb. 24.