Final Score: UMBC 20, VCU 10
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary Street Field)
Records: VCU 0-2, UMBC 1-1
The Short Story: Trailing 5-2 with 22:13 left in the first half, VCU outscored UMBC 3-1 over the next 9:16 to only trail the Retrievers 6-5 with 13:56 left in the half. UMBC was able to respond with three goals in less than four minutes to take a 9-6 lead held off VCU for the remainder of the contest.
- Sky Hyatt and Molly Barcikowski each scored a team-high three goals.
- Keriann McTavish scored two goals on four shot attempts.
- Jessica Del Rossi and Sofia Emond each scored one goal for VCU.
- Clare Murphy had the lone assist for the Rams on the day.
- Ria Peralta made 12 saves in goal, six in each half.
- The Rams went 4-of-5 on free-position shots and 16-of-21 on clear attempts.
- UMBC outshot VCU 37-20 and had a 28-12 advantage in ground balls.
- Hyatt had a team-high two caused turnovers while Emond had a team-high three ground balls.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Barcikowski found of the back of the net first for the second consecutive game to give the Rams an early 1-0 lead with 27:32 left in the half.
- UMBC responded with two goals in less than a minute to take a 2-1 lead with 26:53 remaining.
- Barcikowski scored again 42 seconds after the Retrievers' second goal to even things at 2-2.
- UMBC was able to score three consecutive goals to push its lead to 5-2 before VCU responded by outscoring the Retrievers 3-1 over the next nine minutes.
- Barcikowski, Del Rossi and McTavish each scored during that stretch to pull the Rams back within one at 6-5.
- UMBC scored the next three goals as VCU was unable to overcome the deficit for the remainder of the game.
The Rams will travel to Campbell at 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 24.