Final Score: Duquesne 71, VCU 68
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa. (A.J. Palumbo Center)
Records: VCU (20-7, 12-2 A-10), Duquesne (15-12, 9-5 A-10)
The Short Story: In a back-and-forth battle between VCU and Duquesne, the Dukes used 7-2 run early in the overtime period to take a 70-66 lead with 2:02 remaining. After a VCU basket, the Dukes went 1-of-2 at the free throw line on the ensuing possession and gave the Rams a chance to tie the game at the buzzer but VCU couldn't get a shot off in time.
- Danielle Hammond scored a team-high 15 points and grabbed five rebounds.
- Olga Petrova scored 14 points, shooting 4-of-5 from 3-point range.
- Tera Reed scored 11 points and had four rebounds.
- Taya Robinson was the fourth Ram in double figures scoring 10 points along with four assists and three rebounds.
- VCU shot 41.8 percent from the field including 60 percent from 3-point range (6-of-10). The Dukes shot 38.3 percent from the floor but shot 45.8 percent from behind the arc (11-of-25).
- Duquesne was led by Chassidy Omogrosso who scored a game-high 21 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams opened the game with a Reed 3-pointer but the Dukes answered with a 7-0 run to lead 7-3 with 5:33 left in the first quarter.
- VCU then went on a 13-5 run to take a 16-12 lead with a minute left in the quarter. Duquesne scored two baskets in the final 47 seconds to tie the game 16-16.
- The Rams scored the first basket of the second quarter before the Dukes went on a 10-2 run to lead 26-20 with 6:39 remaining in the quarter.
- VCU's offense came to life in the final 5:53 of the quarter, outscoring Duquesne 15-6 and took a 35-32 lead into halftime. The Rams went 6-of-6 from the floor to end the half.
- The Rams slowly pushed their lead over Duquesne to 49-42 with 2:31left in the third quarter and led 51-46 heading into the fourth quarter.
- VCU led by as many as eight points at 59-51 with 2:02 remaining but Duquese closed the game on a 10-2 run to send it to overtime.
- The Dukes pushed their lead to 70-66 in the overtime period but a Sydnei Archie jumper cut the deficit to just 70-68 with 1:26 remaining.
- After Duquesne went 1-of-2 at the free throw line on the ensuing possession, VCU had the ball with 4.4 seconds remaining but were unable to get a 3-point effort off in time.
VCU travels to Saint Louis on Feb. 27 for an 8 p.m. EST tipoff.