Final Score: VCU 62, George Mason 38
Location: Fairfax, Va. (EagleBank Arena)
Records: VCU (20-6, 12-1 A-10), George Mason (13-12, 5-7 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU pulled away from George Mason with a 20-5 run midway through the third quarter that pushed the Rams' lead from 26-20 to 46-25. The Rams never trailed and led by as many as 28 points during the fourth quarter.
- Olga Petrova scored a career-high 17 points and went 5-of-6 from 3-point range.
- Taya Robinson scored 11 points and added a team-high eight rebounds along with two assists and two steals.
- Danielle Hammond scored nine points along with five rebounds and Sydnei Archie also added nine points.
- VCU tied a season-high shooting 58.8 percent from 3-point range, going 10-of-17. The Rams shot 49.0 percent from floor.
- The VCU defense limited the Patriots to shoot just 24.0 percent overall and 16.7 percent from 3-point range.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams opened the game with back-to-back 3-point possessions on offense and led 6-2 with 8:07 remaining in the first quarter.
- George Mason cut the VCU lead to just 8-7 with 5:49 remaining in the quarter before a 8-3 VCU run gave the Rams a 16-10 lead after the first quarter.
- VCU outscored the Patriots 10-6 in the second quarter to lead 26-16 at halftime.
- The Rams' offense and defense clicked during the third quarter as VCU shot 72.7 percent (8-of-11) and limited the Patriots to just 21.4 percent (3-of-14).
- The Rams cruised as they built their lead to as many as 28 points in the fourth quarter, leading 62-34 with 2:22 remaining in the fourth quarter.
VCU will be back in action at Duquesne at 2 p.m. on Feb. 23.