Final Score: VCU 58, Richmond 37
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU (18-6, 10-1 A-10), Richmond (6-17, 3-7 A-10)
The Short Story: Leading just 30-27 at halftime, VCU's defense came to life in the second half as the Rams outscored Richmond 28-10 to sweep the Sonabank P.O.W.E.R. Crosstown Showdown. With the win, VCU also extended its winning streak to five games.
- Madison Hattix-Covington scored a career-high 13 points on 5-of-7 shooting.
- Taya Robinson scored eight points and six rebounds on 3-of-6 shooting including 2-of-3 from 3-point range.
- Tera Reed scored nine points along with four rebounds and four assists.
- Six different Rams scored at least six points in a balanced offensive attack.
- VCU limited Richmond to shoot just 1-of-20 from 3-point range and 28.6 percent from floor.
- The Rams outscored the Spiders 28-10 in bench scoring.
- Jaide Hinds-Clarke had 10 points and 19 rebounds to lead Richmond.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Richmond led 14-12 after the first quarter after the Spiders shot 50 percent from the floor during the quarter.
- The Rams used a 12-2 run early in the second quarter to retake the lead at 26-20 with 3:16 left before halftime. VCU led Richmond 30-27 at the break.
- VCU had a 15-5 run to open the third quarter and led 45-34 going into the fourt.
- The Rams played suffocating defense in the fourth quarter, limiting Richmond to just three points and outscoring them 13-3 to pull away for the win.
VCU plays host to Dayton at 6 p.m. on Feb. 14 at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.