Final Score: VCU 47, Fordham 44
Location: Bronx, N.Y. (Rose Hill Gymnasium)
Records: VCU (12-5, 4-0 A-10), Fordham (12-6, 3-1 A-10)
The Short Story: Trailing 28-11 with 4:05 left before halftime, VCU used a 29-12 run to tie the game at 40-40 with eight seconds left in the third quarter. VCU got the go-ahead bucket from Danielle Hammond with 3:24 left in the fourth quarter to make it 46-44 and held Fordham scoreless the rest of the way.
- VCU extended its winning streak to six games dating back to Dec. 21. VCU's 4-0 conference record is its best start since joining the Atlantic 10 and best overall conference start since 2009-10.
- Hammond scored a season-high 17 points, just shy of her career-high of 18 points, and added four crucial blocks.
- Taya Robinson scored nine points along with a team-high six rebounds.
- Tera Reed had eight points along with a game-high five assists.
- VCU shot 39.2 percent from the floor while Fordham shot 37.8 percent.
- Mary Goulding scored a team-high 12 points for Fordham.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams were tied 6-6 with 4:42 left in the first quarter before Fordham went on a 7-2 run to close the quarter with a 13-8 lead.
- Fordham extended its lead to 28-11 with 4:05 left before halftime. VCU cut the deficit to 30-17 at halftime after closing the quarter on a 6-2 run.
- VCU chipped away at Fordham's lead after trailing 37-24 with an 8-2 run and cut the deficit to 39-32 with 3:24 left in the third quarter.
- The Rams tied the game 40-40 on a Sofya Pashigoreva layup with eight seconds remaining in the fourt quarter.
- The teams were tied 44-44 when Hammond scored the go-ahead layup with 3:24 remaining and put VCU in front 46-44.
- VCU forced a missed Fordham layup from Kendell Heremaia with six seconds remaining. Taya Robinson then went 1-of-2 at the free throw line to make it 47-44 with 2 seconds left. Fordham's Goulding had a final, long-range effort miss at the buzzer.
VCU hosts Rhode Island on Sunday at 1 p.m. at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.