Final Score: ODU 60, VCU 57
Location: Norfolk, Va. (Ted Constant Convocation Center)
Records: VCU 6-4, ODU 7-2
The Short Story: Trailing 60-53 with 3:07 left, VCU held the Monarchs without a basket the rest of the way to get within 60-57 but the Rams' missed their final four 3-pointers in an effort to tie the game.
- Taya Robinson scored a season-high 19 points and grabbed five rebounds.
- Kseniya Malashka tied her career-high with 10 points along with four rebounds.
- Sofya Pashigoreva scored eight points and had a team-high seven rebounds.
- The Rams limited ODU to shoot just 38.3 percent but VCU shot just 33.3 percent from the floor.
- ODU outscored VCU 25-12 in points off turnovers.
- ODU was led by Taylor Edwards who scored a game-high 20 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams got out to a 6-3 lead before the Monarchs went on a 7-0 run to take a 10-8 lead with 6:16 remaining in the first quarter.
- The lead then changed hands five times before VCU closed the quarter on a layup from Pashigoreva and two free throws from Robinson to lead 20-17.
- ODU went on an 8-2 run to start the second quarter and led 28-22 with 4:06 remaining but VCU answered with an 11-0 run to close the half and led 33-28.
- The Rams had seven turnovers in the third quarter and ODU outscored VCU 20-9 to retake the lead 48-42 heading into the final 10 minutes.
- The Monarchs held their biggest lead at 60-53 with 3:07 left before the Rams shut them out for the remainder of the contest.
- VCU got within 60-57 but couldn't get a tying 3-point attempt to fall in the final 1:11.
VCU hosts Radford at 6 p.m. on Dec. 19 at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.