Final Score: Cincinnati 66, VCU 54
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio (Fifth Third Arena)
Records: VCU 6-3, Cincinnati 6-5
The Short Story: After VCU led 46-43 heading into the fourth quarter, Cincinnati was able to retake the lead with a 14-5 run and held off the Rams.
- Taya Robinson scored 16 points on 5-of-10 shooting.
- Tera Reed also scored 16 points on 5-of-8 shooting along with four rebounds.
- VCU shot 46.2 percent from the floor while the Bearcats shot just 33.9 percent.
- The Bearcats grabbed 16 offensive rebounds giving them a 15-4 edge in second chance points.
- VCU led for 22:53 of the contest while the Bearcats led just 14:37.
- The Rams had 21 turnovers to Cincinnati's 10.
- IImar'l Thomas led Cincinnati with 20 points and nine rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams defense stifled the Bearcats right out of the gate, limiting Cincinnati to shoot just 3-of-17 from the floor in the first quarter. VCU led 13-7 after the first 10 minutes despite having eight turnovers in the quarter.
- The Bearcats opened the second quarter on a 8-2 run to take a 16-15 lead over the Rams with 5:53 left before halftime.
- After trading baskets and the Bearcats leading 22-19, VCU responded and closed the half on a 6-0 run to take a 25-22 lead into halftime.
- The third quarter was tightly played with VCU taking a 46-43 lead into the final 10 minutes.
- The Bearcats used a 14-5 run to open the fourth quarter and take a 57-48 lead with 4:26 remaining. Cincinnati held on for the win.
VCU travels to Old Dominion on Dec. 16 for a 2 p.m. tipoff in Norfolk.