Final Score: UNC 59, VCU 47
Location: Chapel Hill N.C. (Carmichael Arena)
Records: VCU 2-1, UNC 3-0
The Short Story: The Rams led after the first quarter and trailed just 25-22 at the half but a cold shooting third quarter and a big run by UNC was too much to overcome for VCU.
- Sydnei Archie led the team in scoring for the second time in three games with 11 points. She also grabbed five rebounds.
- Taya Robinson scored nine points along with six rebounds, two steals and two assists.
- Sofya Pashigoreva scored seven points and added five rebounds.
- VCU held a 36-35 edge in rebounds but Carolina shot 34.5 percent to VCU's 32.7 percent.
- UNC also went 14-of-18 from the free throw line while VCU was 7-of-13.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After the Tar Heels scored the first basket, the Rams answered with a layup from Robinson and back-to-back 3-pointers from Archie to take an 8-3 lead with 6:32 left in the first quarter.
- Both teams tightened up on the defense end for the final six minutes of the quarter VCU led 11-10 at the end of the first quarter.
- The Rams led 22-19 but a 6-0 run by UNC to close the first half gave them a 25-22 lead at the break.
- With the score 27-26 early in the third quarter, the Tar Heels went on a 20-0 run in the third quarter and led 47-26 with 9:08 left in the contest.
- VCU battled back during the fourth quarter but could only get the deficit within 12 points.
VCU hosts Wake Forest at 6 p.m. on Nov. 18 at 6 p.m. at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.