Final Score: Georgetown 71, VCU 59
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 2-8, Georgetown 5-5
The Short Story: After trailing 60-43 with just 6:48 remaining, the Rams went on a 12-4 run to cut the deficit to 64-55 with 2:01 remaining. Georgetown answered with back-to-back baskets and the Rams were unable to complete the comeback.
- Tera Reed had scored a team-high 15 points and also tied for a team-high with seven rebounds.
- Jailyn Maddox scored eight points and grabbed five rebounds.
- Bria Gibson had six points and tied Reed for a team-high seven rebounds.
- Taya Robinson scored her first collegiate points and finished with five points and five rebounds.
- Georgetown held a 34-19 edge in points off turnovers and outscored VCU 26-14 in the paint.
- The Hoyas outscored the Rams 18-4 in fast break points with a large majority coming off turnovers.
- Dionna White scored 21 points and four rebounds to lead Georgetown.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Hoyas started the game on an 11-2 run and led by that margin with 4:44 left in the first quarter.
- Georgetown expanded its lead to 18-5 with 2:00 left in the quarter and had a 12-0 advantage in points off turnovers at that point.
- The Rams responded with an 8-0 run to start the second quarter to cut the deficit to just 23-16 after Sydnei Archie hit a 3-pointer from the top of the key.
- The Rams outscored Georgetown 14-9 in the second quarter but the Hoyas held 24-17 lead at halftime.
- The Rams kept Georgetown close but the Hoyas stretched their lead to 56-39 in the third quarter.
- VCU eventually trailed 60-43 before switching into a full court press that flustered the Hoyas and the Rams went on a 12-4 run to get back within 64-55 but Georgetown was ultimately able to hold off the Rams.
The Rams will play Penn on Dec. 28 as part of the NJIT Highlanders Christmas Classic.