Final Score: Mercer 70, VCU 54
Location: Atlanta, Ga. (GSU Sports Arena)
Records: VCU 0-5, Mercer 4-2
The Short Story: The Rams fell behind Mercer early and trailed 38-20 at halftime but kept battling and outscored the Bears in the second half, 34-32. Despite the second half performance, VCU was unable to overcome the early deficit.
- Tera Reed posted her first career double-double with a career-high 18 points along with 10 rebounds. She shot 5-of-9 from the field and 8-of-9 from the floor. She was named to the All-GSU Thanksgiving Classic Team.
- Jailyn Maddox had 12 points and two assists.
- Danielle Hammond had six points and five rebounds for the Rams.
- Mercer outscored VCU 24-5 in points off turnovers and 34-18 in points in the paint.
- Mercer shot 46.2 percent from the field while VCU shot 32.6 percent from the floor.
- Kahlia Lawrence led Mercer with 14 points while Rachel Selph also added 14 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU opened the scoring on a Danielle Hammond layup to take a 2-0 lead but Mercer closed the quarter on a 13-2 run to lead 13-4 heading into the second stanza.
- The Bears opened up their lead to 28-9 with 3:44 left in the first half but VCU rallied and went on a 9-0 run to cut the deficit to just 28-18 with 2:13 left.
- Mercer responded with a 10-2 run over the final 2:13 to take a 38-20 lead at halftime.
- After a back-and-forth third quarter, the Rams went on a 6-0 run to cut the deficit to 58-44 before a Mercer free throw made it 59-44 heading into the final frame.
- VCU got as close as 64-50 with 5:02 left in the fourth quarter after a 5-0 run by the Rams but Mercer would let VCU get no closer.
VCU will conclude its five-game road stretch with a game at UNCW at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 29.