Final Score: Norfolk State 66, VCU 52
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 0-1, Norfolk State 1-0
The Short Story: The Rams, featuring one of the youngest lineups in the country, trailed just 23-17 with 4:50 left in the second quarter but Norfolk State went on a 12-0 run spanning 3:30 to tkae a 35-18 lead at halftime. VCU was ultimately able to outscore the Spartans 34-31 in the second half but the initial deficit was too steep to overcome.
- Bria Gibson had a career-high 15 rebounds to pace all players and also added nine points.
- Jailyn Maddox scored a career-high 18 points and went 13-of-18 at the free throw line during the game. She also added six rebounds.
- Tera Reed scored nine points and added 12 rebounds in her collegiate debut.
- VCU held a decisive 49-35 advantage in rebounds but the Rams turned the ball over 27 times to the Spartans' 17 turnovers. NSU had a 25-17 edge in points off turnovers.
- The Rams, who were dealing with multiple injuries, only featured eight players as Sandra Skinner, Taya Robinson and Madison Hattix-Covington have been temporarily sidelined.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Norfolk State opened the game on an 8-0 run that spanned just over a minute at the beginning of the first quarter.
- The Rams answered with an 8-0 run of their own after a Gibson layup and a Reed 3-pointer sparked the run to tie the game 8-8 with 4:24 left in the first quarter.
- The Spartans were up 13-12 until a Kayla Roberts 3-pointer pushed their lead to 16-12 at the end of the frame.
- Norfolk State outscored VCU 19-6 in the second quarter to take a 35-18 lead at the break.
- The Rams opened the second half on a 6-2 run after Maddox went 6-of-7 from the free throw line to cut the deficit to 37-25 with 5:51 left in the quarter.
- The teams battled for the remainder of the stanza but the Spartans scored the final four points and took a 52-33 lead into the fourth quarter.
- Down 64-42, VCU went on a 10-0 run to cut the deficit to 64-52 in the final minute.
The Rams will travel to Minnesota for an 8 p.m. (EST) tip against the Golden Gophers on Nov. 16.