February 19, 2014
“FURY”OUS SECOND HALF RALLY LEADS RAMS TO 20TH WIN WITH 74-57 DEFEAT OF ST. BONAVENTURE
- Score: VCU 74, St. Bonaventure 57
- Records: VCU (20-7, 8-6 A10), St. Bonaventure (20-8, 9-4 A10)
- Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village
- The Short Story: The VCU women's basketball team used a huge second half to roll past second-place St. Bonaventure, 74-57, en route to the program's sixth 20-win season in program history. VCU outscored the Bonnies 47-16 after halftime, forcing 15 turnovers and holding SBU to just four field goals. Freshman Isis Thorpe finished with a game-high 19 points, 16 of which came in the second half, while senior Robyn Parks added 16 points and 14 rebounds.
How It Happened
- St. Bonaventure showed why they entered Wednesday's matchup as the second-place team in the Atlantic 10 with a 7-0 start to the game. However, the Rams responded with a 13-3 run of their own capped off by a 3-pointer by Thorpe to grab a 13-10 VCU lead with 14:13 to play in the first half.
- SBU's Katie Healy would slowly start to take over the first half, leading an 11-1 run and then continuing to extend the Bonnies' lead, reaching as much as 17.
- A 3-pointer from Jessica Pellechio in the final minute of the first half cut into SBU's lead as VCU headed to the break down 41-27.
- FURY came alive in the second half, forcing eight SBU turnovers in the first eight minutes of the stanza en route to a 20-4 VCU run to give the Rams their first lead since early in the game at 47-45 with 11:57 to play.
- The Bonnies answered and regained the lead at 51-47 with 10:32 to play. SBU would score six points the rest of the way.
- Thorpe scored 11 of VCU's final 27 points as the Rams closed out the game on a 27-6 run to blow away the Bonnies.
- VCU returns home on Saturday to host St. Louis on Senior Day. Tipoff at the Siegel Center is set for 2 p.m.