FINAL: VCU 95, UNCG 72 (Fleming Gymnasium – Greensboro, N.C.)
RECORDS: VCU (5-1), UNCG (3-3)
VCU STARTERS: #22 Williams, #24 Parks, #34 Robinson, #45 Thorpe, #55 Royster
UNCG STARTERS: #12 Mason, #14 Williams, #15 Scaife, #25 Harris, #55 Stevenson
- Freshman Keira Robinson scored a career-high 25 points, senior Robyn Parks added 24 and freshman Isis Thorpe chipped in a career-best 22, and VCU erupted offensively shooting 60.3 percent in a 95-72 drubbing of UNCG Wednesday afternoon.
- The Rams won their fourth in a row, including third straight on the road, to improve to 5-1, their best start in five years. All three of those road victories have come by double-digits.
- VCU, which entered the game averaging an Atlantic 10-best 7.6 three's, went 10-of-17 from behind the arc.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- VCU set the tone early, forcing three turnovers while hitting 4-of-6 from the field en route to a quick 9-0 lead less than two minutes in.
- After reigning Southern Conference Rookie of the Year Lucy Mason made it a seven-point game with 14:51 showing, Parks ignited a 15-2 VCU run as she converted a four-point play with a triple from the right wing, and Thorpe eventually extended the Rams' lead to 24-6 with a trey of her own at the 12:39 mark.
- VCU continued to push and built a 41-14 advantage with less than six minutes to play in the opening stanza. The Rams led by as many as 27 on four separate occasions the rest of the period.
- UNCG trailed by at least 20 points the final nine minutes of the first half as VCU took a 50-26 lead into the locker room.
- Robinson scored eight points, including a pair of triples, through the first four minutes of the second half and extended VCU's lead to 60-35 with 16:33 remaining.
- UNCG chipped away and used a 15-6 spurt to pull within 70-54 on a jumper by Janae' Stevenson with 9:23 to go, which was the Spartans' smallest deficit since midway through the first half. However, It was as close as UNCG would get as a 3-pointer by Thorpe made it a 19-point game with eight minutes to play. The Rams went up by as many as 91-63 with 2:31 left.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- VCU's 95 points were its most since a 98-47 victory over Central Connecticut St. on Nov. 9, 2007. The Rams have already scored 90-plus points twice this season.
- Robinson turned in a career-high scoring performance for the third straight game. She had 11 at Texas-Pan American on Nov. 21, 17 at UT Arlington on Nov. 24 and 25 on Wednesday.
- The freshman duo of Robinson and Thorpe combined to score 47 points, shooting 18-of-25, including 9-of-12 from behind the arc.
- VCU, which leads the Atlantic 10 in opponent turnovers, forced 22 against UNCG, which marked the fourth time this season an opponent has recorded 21 or more miscues.
WHAT'S AHEAD: VCU continues its season-long five-game road trip with a visit to Wagner on Dec. 1 before traveling to UMBC on Dec. 7. The Rams return home to the Verizon Wireless Arena to face Cleveland State on Dec. 15.